The Collection
 

The Hays Antique Truck Museum contains one of the largest collections of antique trucks in the United States.   Find out more about our trucks, browse our collection, or enjoy a slide show.
 

Our collection

Feature truck 

Slide show 

Browse the collection 


Hays Antique Truck Museum 1997.  All Rights Reserved.
 

 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 

The Hays antique truck collection
 
The Hays collection includes many different makes of old trucks, representing different manufacturers such as Fageol, Freightliner, Mack, Sterling, Oshkosh, Peterbilt, Chevrolet, Dodge, and the one and only 1916 Breeding Steam Truck.   Also on display are trailers, tools, equipment, and trucking memorabilia.  Most of the trucks have been beautifully restored and many are in running condition.  

Trucks from the Hays collection have been on display in a variety of settings.  Visitors to the annual International Truck Show can see several trucks from the Hays collection on display. The Hays collection was featured on the television show, Bay Area Backroads and the recurring TNN series, The World of Collector Cars.
 

Hays trucks have also appeared in several feature length motion pictures.  The 1942 MACK fire truck appeared in the movie James and the Giant PeachThree of our trucks were on location for several months at Alcatraz Island for the movie, Murderin the First, starring Kevin Bacon.  Monsters, a Universal Studios picture, also used 6 trucks from the collection.

Our trucks are available for lease for use in movie and television productions, advertisements, conferences, and special events.   Please call (530)666-1044 or use our Guestbook for more information on leasing trucks from the Collection.
 

  Top

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Our Feature Truck

 


 

1944 Sterling

by Ed Roberts

The Hays Antique Truck Museum is currently displaying the Diamantine Bros. Sterling HWS1 60H 6-wheel flatbed. This truck was built by the Sterling Motor Truck Co. of Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1944 and sold to the Square Oil Co. of Los Angeles. The original title certificate and engine test sheet are still with the truck and copies are on display at the museum.

Diamantine Bros. Transportation, Inc. of Hayward, California acquired the Sterling and restored it to look just like the other trucks in their early fleet, with beautiful deep maroon paint set off by cream-colored wheels and front bumper, and with no modern embellishments. The truck retains its original Spicer 7741 4-speed main transmission and Fuller auxiliary, along with a Tirnken 26450W worm-drive tandem rear axle. The engine, originally a 672cubic inch, 150-hp, Cummins HB 600, retains its three inside, manifold-hung, air cleaners and single-disc fuel injection pump, but it was rebuilt to HRB-600 (or HR-i 65) specifications, with 743 cubic inches and 165 hp.

Diamantine Bros., established in 1933,hauled lumber, cement, and other heavy products for Permanente Cement, Standard Oil, and Pacific Gas & Electric throughout California and Nevada. Their fleet included Peterbilt, Kenworth, and Sterling trucks.

The Sterling HWS16OH was a heavy-duty highway model rated at 8-12 tons capacity, or 42,000 lb. GVW. In 1944, Sterling also built several heavier models, up to the 15-20ton, 70,000 lb. G\/W, HCS297. In 1951 Sterling built the even larger 45 ton SF7506D off-highway dump truck, which used an unusual Buda 1,125 cubic inch straight-eight diesel. The Sterling roots go back to 1907 when the Sternberg Motor Truck Co. was established in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Sternberg quickly developed a good reputation for building high-quality heavy-duty trucks. Anti-German reaction during World War I prompted the company to change its name to Sterling Motor Truck Co. in 1916.White Motor Co. purchased Sterling in 1951. Production was transferred to the White factory in Cleveland, Ohio in 1953, and Sterling-Whites continued to be built there fora short while. Crane carrier chassis were built until 1957, and then the Sterling-White brand was discontinued. Sterling Custom Built Trucks, Inc., of Kansas City revived the Sterling name from 1973-82 for crane carrier chassis and similar vehicles. The Freightliner division of Daimler-Benz (now DaimlerChrysler) revived the name again in 1997 for the heavy-duty Ford truck operation it had just purchased. About a half-dozen other companies also used the Sterling name on motor vehicles in the early 1900s.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Feature Truck Archive |  Top